Monday, November 16, 2015

E. L. Moore's Cabin

[E. L. Moore's Cabin; J. R. Fisher collection]

This is a third backwoods cabin in the same style as the two from the J. Collier collection I posted back in the spring.
The Cabin is another model in E. L. Moore's backwoods style that I discussed in the Apple Cider Mill post. He seemed to lavish a lot of attention on these models. My guess is there is some personal connection, although that's purely speculation on my part - I hope I can one day determine which of his builds are in someway connected to his past.
The inside of this model is waiting for detail unlike the large cabin with its fully detailed interior.
It would be a difficult life living through the winter in the northern USA or Canada in this cabin. You'd need a huge stack of firewood to put in that fireplace to keep warm.
The sagging roof is a nice touch. E. L. Moore was a master of this backwoods style. Wood is a material that moves over time in response to loads, and his Central Warehouse, which is also in the backwoods styleis a humorous take on that.

2 comments:

  1. I can't recall how ELM sloped his roofs, but when I built his log blacksmith shop in N scale, I used an embossed-balsa roof and sanded the ridge into a slope shape.

    I loved how he made his corners on log cabins. The front and back sides were built with full log ends. The sides went between the front and back with straight ends. Then he took a strip of balsa, glued a cardstock strip to the edge, then carved in log ends on the strip. Finally, he glued these phony log ends to the front and back, giving the impression they were continuations of the sides. Simple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the sag is created by slightly curving the edges of the roof panels that will be glued together to form the ridge - I'll have to check my files to see if I took a picture of the inside of the roof unit of this model.

      Delete