Sunday, November 15, 2015

E. L. Moore's Button Works

[E. L. Moore's Button Works; J. R. Fisher collection]

While we're on the subject of colour, I thought this would be a good time to post some photos of E. L. Moore's Button Works that appeared in the September 1979 issue of Model Railroader. Mr. Moore gives some instructions for obtaining that pleasing facade colour,

The plain surfaces were given three or four coats of Floquil Light Green mixed with White, which turned out to be more of a robin's egg blue
Debra tells me that of all the models we saw that day, this is her favourite. 
It turns out The Button Works was the last E. L. Moore project to appear in Model Railroader. Mr. Moore likely never saw this project in print: he died on 12 August '79.
The year inked on the bottom says '75. E. L. Moore was born on 14 March 1898, so he was 77 when he built this one. 
Those smiley faces on the loading dock walls are a nice touch, and I hope when I'm that age I'm still feeling positive enough that I can think of those kind of pleasant embellishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment