Friday, March 9, 2018

Hot Rod Falcon

Being a nerd, things like the Millennium Falcon come up from time-to-time in casual conversation as it did this week. I mentioned that maybe around 2005 or so, before I had rekindled my model railroading interests, I converted an MPC Millennium Falcon kit into a 1/24 scale, single-stage-to-orbit hot rod.
Can't say that I have lots of construction photos as I didn't take many back then, but there it is under construction on my workbench. The Falcon's cockpit / flight deck was cut off and the fuselage was made symmetrical. 
I recall using some plastic brick sheets to simulate reinforced walkways over the upper fuselage - they're those red sheeted areas you can sort of see in the photos.
The cockpit was taken from a Revell 1/25 scale kit of Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit II. As you can see there are no seat harnesses, so this was a pre-seatbelt law spacecraft :-) 
I put some sort of circular exhaust dead centre on the bottom, and its grill is cut from a piece of drywall sanding sheet ...
... as is the rear grill. Those little exhaust pipes I added to the bottom always make me laugh. That's it for tonight. I leave you with Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment