Thursday, October 13, 2016

Light Ray Blues, Series 2, Instalment 11: A rose by any other name

When we last saw Ed Bryce he was standing in front of the world's unfunniest joke shop. Those donuts are making me hungry, pass one over here before it starts . . . 

Those sobs! It was a joke. I was glad for Dr. Ellesmere, but I felt like doing some severing myself when I caught up with those idiots.

But, before I could do that I had to get by two massive, over-muscled guys who were standing on each side of the door to Lester’s Laffs. They were odd. Black suits, mirror aviator sunglasses,  wires going in ears. Bodyguard stereotypes with no detail overlooked. The store’s front door was propped open and I could see a trim, well-dressed man with a rose in his lapel at the counter in conversation with a man on the other side who I could only assume was Lester. 

With as much confidence as I could muster, I strode up to the door and tried to enter, but as I was about to cross the threshold, Muscle Guy #1 held out his hand and stopped me in my tracks.

“Sorry sir, can you wait here a few moments.”

Muscle Guy #2 silently moved from his post and started to frisk me in an overly friendly manner. He pulled the cash roll from my pocket and showed it to Muscle Guy #1. He shook his head and Muscle Guy #2 put the roll back in my pocket and continued his search.

“Thank you for your patience sir.” 

When Muscle Guy #2 finished his probing, I backed up a step and moved a little to the side of Muscle Guy #1 so he could keep an eye on me. From that vantage point, I could hear the conversation going on inside.

“I’m looking for one of those lapel flowers that squirt water. Preferably a rose. I have a little something in mind for the President when I visit next week.”

“You’re not really going to squirt him are you?”

“Just watch me.”

The counter-man looked through his shelves and boxes and packages. He shook his head.

“I don’t seem to have any in stock.”

“Fuddle duddle!”

“There’s a delivery coming in tomorrow. I can have some sent to your office.”

Smiles broke out all round. The two shook hands. The rose appareled customer walked out, Muscle Guy #1 pushed me aside, and all three strode into the bowels of the complex.

Now it was my turn.

Part 12 can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment