Saturday, November 14, 2015

E. L. Moore's Stuckum Glue Works

[E. L. Moore's Stuckum Glue Works; J. R. Fisher collection]

E. L. Moore's Stuckum Glue Works appeared in the October 1977 issue of Model Railroader.
One thing I like to see in a model is the ability to look inside, through either a window or door, and see clear through to another window or door and on to the outside. You can see that's possible with those freight doors on the main floor. Supplemented with some interior lighting, the views could be quite intriguing.
No hand brick engraving on this project like there was on the Firehouse. Here, the balsa walls are bricked with glued on brick paper.
Inflation was a big problem in the '70's and balsa didn't escape its impact as E. L. Moore notes in the article's introduction.

Which reminds me: the last 1/16" x 4" balsa I bought recently was priced at $1.15 - and I'm still using off of some of that cost 60 cents and 75 cents. Now, that's inflation!
Mr. Moore also notes that if you're stickler for ultimate prototypical realism, you might try coaxing a mouse to take its last breath inside the building to get that authentic glue factory aroma - but don't use too much mouse :-)

3 comments:

  1. I scratch-built this in N scale last year for part of my Master Builder - Structures certificate for the NMRA Achievement Program. Have a ton of photos of the build. I can send you some highlights if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sounds interesting! Please forward me your email address in a comment. I won't publish the comment, but I will send you a message so you'll have my email to send a few pictures to.

      Delete