Sunday, November 22, 2015

E. L. Moore's Cotton Waste Plant

[E. L. Moore's Cotton Waste Plant; J. Collier collection]

E. L. Moore's Cotton Waste Plant appeared in the June 1967 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
Although this model incorporates many E. L. Moore signature touches, there is one rather rare aspect to this model: he used actual corrugated metal and not his usual technique of simulating it with embossed paper.
Yes, all that metal siding and roofing is actual Northeastern corrugated metal siding, but it has been painted to simulate rust.

I tried Floquil's "rust", and while it is fine for most surfaces it failed to give me the effect I wanted here; so I turned to my old standby of raw sienna and a bit of brown in turps, which is really not a weathering agent so much as a natural wood stain. However, a couple of sloshings of this did the trick beautifully.
It's not bad colour-wise.
I can't say it enough: yeap, that's actual metal roofing over that walkway.

2 comments: