Sunday, February 8, 2015

Two churches

The E. L. Moore schoolhouse build reminded me of this church I photographed in the late 1990's. It's a Free Methodist church that, according to the sign, was founded in 1895. I can't recall exactly where it's located other than I think it was in the township of Marmora and Lake in Hastings County, Ontario. In the same bundle of photos was the one shown below of the Eldorado Church of the Nazarene in Eldorado, Oklahoma. Debra shot the picture sometime in the late 1990's. It has a distinctiveness that might make for a good model.

4 comments:

  1. I'm struck by the similarities between your first church and the one that I based my church build on. Even the landscaping is similar! http://www.utrainia.com/29-an-engaging-build-part-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very similar, and as you point out, right down to even the landscape. I can only speculate that there was a certain shared thinking regarding buildings of these sort - maybe 'transmitted' by plan books, immigrents memories, and so on

      Delete
  2. Found it! Took quite a bit of searching to locate the actual location. The history page assumes that you know where it is, so no clues there.
    Beaver Creek Free Methodist Church - totally remote
    https://goo.gl/maps/i2EF8zYKEGLqLxtx7 - streetview
    https://www.marmorahistory.ca/beaver-creek-free-methodist-church - with some interiors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding the location! It's been a very long time since I've been down that road. Actually, I might be able to go by there again this summer once my vehicle gets repaired. A 12" diameter x 4' pine tree branch flew through the air during the big storm that passed through here a few weeks ago and crashed into my car's windshield, destroying the glass and seriously denting the roof. A little road trip might be nice once it gets out of the shop.

      Delete