Sunday, April 17, 2011

Notes on the characteristics of Gallery

In the back of my mind I’ve been trying to think of what things distinguish Gallery from Museum. I don’t have anything definitive just yet – and I might never will - but here are a few points I’ve been considering.

Figures interacting with each other are commonplace. The figures aren’t just isolated, mannequin-like props used to simply denote the presence of people. There’s lots of interesting figures, doing interesting things, and they tell some sort of story.

Many models or miniatures of things exist in the layout’s world that never existed in the real world, but seem completely plausible in the model world and fit seamlessly into its look.

Scenes are like novellas.

Gallery can be unsettling because on the surface it doesn’t appear to be a serious adult activity and looks more like frivolous child’s play.

No comments:

Post a Comment